Monday, September 22, 2008

So Over Sarah Palin

Sarah, your fifteen-minutes are over, so now you must go.


TV appearances, radio interviews, documentary, books deals...why? Does she really have enough depth and accomplishments to fill 200 pages or 2 hours worth of film? And more importantly, does the public really care? When Sen. McCain announced Sarah Palin as his running mate, I was intrigued. Like most people, I had no idea who she was or what her politics were. I only heard that she was a governor in a state known for good ole' boy politics and a mother of five.


Glass ceiling shatter/mother was enough to start my searching frenzy. For days, I read every article about her. I wanted Sarah to be the Everywoman for my generation.

I kept wanting to find something about Sarah that showed me that she was like me. I wanted to pin my hopes and aspirations onto to this woman. If she went to the White House, moms everywhere would be at the White House too.

At first, the checklist looked promising:

  • Sarah is a mother of 5. I am a mom of 4.

  • Sarah is working mom. I was a working mom.

  • Sarah is a hockey-mom. I am a soccer mom.

  • Sarah is from humble roots. I am from humble roots (being a Garbage Man's Daughter)

Then the more I looked, the more different from me Sarah looked:



  • Sarah is anti-gun control

  • Sarah is anti-gay or according to the Republicans "pro-family," whatever that means.

  • Sarah is pro-life

  • Sarah is pro-offshore drilling (not so good for the environment)

  • Sarah is a former Beauty Queen

  • Sarah is a former sports broadcaster

  • Sarah is largely in support of abstinence only programs and has a pregnant teenage daughter (good evidence those programs don't work).

  • Sarah has a special needs baby that is being cared for by others.

Take that list in combination with one botched interview after another. This is woman has no future in National politics. She is not a lifelong advocate of change. She is pretty girl who turn into a pretty politician that has gone as far as she can a national stage.

So Sarah, go home, make some moose chili and take care of your children!





No comments:

Post a Comment