Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Engagement Revisited: Our Love Is a Purple Dented Volvo

“Boring” was the one word response that I got from my husband when I emailed him the story of our engagement.

“Boring! This story could be a metaphor for our entire relationship as it foreshadows all the future collisions that we will survive,” I typed and hit sent.

“I didn’t know our relationship was a purple Volvo with a dent in it,” he replied.

Yes, our love is a dented purple Volvo and today on fourteen year wedding anniversary, I recall the day of our Engagement (A rewrite from the boring version that I originally sent my husband.)

Six month dating anniversary, March 23, 1996. She was joyful. He was nervous. Harsh Texas winds. A canceled picnic lunch and a defunct stroll in the park left him struggling for a romantic back-up plan in a rather grim, culturally barren city. Window shopping at the mall followed by a lunch at a Thai restaurant was the best he could, or so she thought.

After brushing her hair one last time, she heard Van Morrison’s Crazy Love and walked into the living room to discover her boyfriend on bended knee with an open ring box and a slight quiver in his hand. Before he could ask, she said, “Yes.”

Giggles, hugs and kisses followed until they finally left for lunch. Excitement got the better of him as he failed to check the rearview mirror and backed into a moving purple Volvo. The perfect beginning to a collision filled relationship…

Happy Anniversary, my brilliant and gorgeous husband who truly is a saint for putting up with my histrionics and bad cooking. You’re stuck with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment