Saturday, February 13, 2010

On Humility

A recent email that I received: “I love your blog. It is a great way to start my day.” 

My reply: About freakin’ time someone notices my writing and gives me the credit that I deserve.  I have been writing every day since I have been nine-years-old. My morning starts not with a 5-mile run but with writing exercises, which is precisely why my ass looks like a tub of Jell-O at a company picnic, which is poked repeatedly with a fork by balding, chubby guys in Sipowicz shirts.  Each time, I write something, it is like stripping in public without the benefit of applause, catcalls, dollar bills, and inappropriate gropes in interesting spots. So when I tell you, it is more about personal happiness and artistic expression, it is really is about the praise and accolades.   

Humility is for overconfident convincing liars or people with low self-esteem and limited talent.