Friday, April 9, 2010

The New Ted and Sylvia

Sylvia Plath, in speaking about life with her husband, British poet, Ted Hughes, once said: “We drink coffee in the morning in concession to America , and we drink tea in the afternoon in concession to England. “

My husband and I listen to Willie Nelson on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to pay homage to Texas, and we listen to Prince on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday to pay homage to Minnesota (for absolutely no reason since I am not from Minnesota and have never been there).

But, anyway we are the new Ted and Sylvia – well minus the adultery, the divorce, the mother’s abandonment of the children through suicide, the shacking up with the mistress who later gases herself and her daughter who could be the kids’ illegitimate half-sister , the abandonment of the adult children by the father due to cancer, which results in the youngest child’s depression and ultimate suicide.

Okay, so we are nothing like Ted and Sylvia.

Anyway, we listen to Willie Nelson on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and Prince on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday unless my husband is out of town then I listen to Prince every day. Well actually even if he is home, I go to the basement and listen to Prince every day when I am drinking tea. I drink tea and my husband drinks coffee. Okay, we are nothing like Ted and Sylvia. We are just a couple who listens to Willie and Prince and drinks our daily coffee and tea.