Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Two Different Covers for the Same Book

I have a split bibliographic personality with the two facets coexisting in perfect harmony like both sides of a Shakespearean oxymoron. I am simultaneously a literary snob and an advocate of literacy through recreational reading. You will frequently hear me say that I do not read books that you can find on the end-caps at Walmart, and I would rather have all the blood sucked out of me than read a Stephenie Meyer book. I only read a New York Times Best Seller if it is an award winner or has received phenomenal reviews in some of the finest newspapers and magazines in the United States and the United Kingdom. I spend my time reading great books. I know they are great because someone with authority has told me so. I wait for book critics, professors, and prize committees to tell me what to read. When I am particularly desperate for a great new book, I ask for recommendations from my librarian co-workers who are professional reading advisers by trade. I am not ashamed to admit that I never pick out a book just because it has a provocative title or curious cover. Who has time to be wrong?

However, while I am donning my metaphorical librarian bun, my bibliophile elitism stays repressed and only my advocacy for literacy prevails. I support the tenet: A book for every reader and a reader for every book. This basically means that even the crap, according to my personal standards, deserves to be read and loved. When a patron tells me that James Patterson is great writer, I do not choke on my tongue. Instead, I give her more Patterson books than she can carry; too bad I can’t hire one of the assistants in the “Patterson Machine” to carry the books for her. And, when I am not distributing James Patterson books, I give out Twilight like relief workers in Africa give out Penicillin and rice. I would be a wealthy women if I got paid every time, I handed out Star Wars, Pokémon, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid, or Daisy Meadow's fairy books -- all dreadful books that appeal to reluctant readers. Heck, I have even added David Pilkey’s Captain Underpants series and his Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot books to my list of regular recommendations for kids who do not like to read. It is not great literature, but all readers need to start somewhere. David Pilkey today, Lois Lowry tomorrow?