Thursday, July 14, 2011

Let’s Play a Game: Dad or Prince

I am a dedicated wife. I am a hardcore Prince fan. I have been romantically linked to my husband for nearly 16 years and married to him for 13 years. I have been listening to Prince regularly for 29 years. Sometimes my dedication to the Purple One makes things a little uncomfortable in my marriage, especially when my twelve-year-old son asks questions while trapped in the car.

Hey Mom, Prince is a stupid name. What is his real name?

Prince Rodgers Nelson. Prince really is his birth name. His dad named him after his band, Prince Rodgers Trio.

What is Dad’s real name?

Birth name Tommy. Legally changed to Thomas when you were a baby. Goes by Tom. He is Dad to you.

Where was Prince born? Minneapolis, Minnesota

Where was Dad born? Orange, Texas.

When’s Prince’s birthday? June 7

When's Dad’s birthday? December 26.

Mom, I think you know more about Prince than dad.

No, I don’t. I know everything about your father and I know almost nothing about Prince.
Who was Prince’s first girlfriend?

Don’t know. Not playing this game. (Impossible to point to just one, but Susan Moonsie, who joined Vanity 6, was Prince’s high school girlfriend.)

Who was Dad’s first girlfriend?”

Not playing this game, kid. (Tina, Toni, Renee or something like that.)

What was Prince’s first job?

Don’t know. Don’t care. Time to move on. (Not sure that he did much but make music. Wrote first song when he was seven, first demo tape done in 1976 and first album released in 1978 when he was 19 years old.)

What’s was Dad’s first job?

Not playing this game but I know for a fact he bagged groceries at Wal-Mart. Your nanny made him walk to work.

What did Prince do in high school?

How would I know? (Played basketball and many instruments)

What did Dad do in high school? Football and baseball. He was great athlete unlike your mother.

So, Mom how many books have read about Prince?

None. I read an article about Prince in Teen Beat the year that Purple Rain came out. That is extent of my biographical knowledge, so let it go.
   
Mom, every time I use the computer, Prince.org is open.

Keep it up and I got three words for you: Computer Password Protected.

All right then. Dad, where are we going for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment