Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Snuggies, Sickos and Safeways

Is it socially acceptable to wear a Snuggie in public? This was going to be my topic for today’s post. However, when I started my literature survey (or in reality my blog survey), I discovered that there are many, way too many people who have tackled the issue of the Snuggie in numerous sick, very sick ways. Of course, you got all the drunken Snuggie wearers doing pub crawls and hooking up with strangers. Then, the hook-ups lead to a plethora of posts about Snuggies and sexual games.

Sure, like so many bloggers out there, I have considered mentioning the luxury of public sex that is afforded by the Snuggie, but ruled that a tangent like that would be far too crass and irrelevant for my art form that is loaded with sophisticated taste and propriety. Instead, I prefer to celebrate how the Snuggie is the perfect gift for someone as cheap and easy as me. Truly, this is the gift for the person who doesn’t have everything but doesn’t really want everything and is always cold. I am that person. I am easy to please, encourage the purchase of only inexpensive gifts preferably in the form of chocolate and am always cold. Some attribute my constant frigidness to having a cold-heart, being cold-blooded, exhibiting an underactive thyroid or simply being the daughter of Satan. No matter what the reason, I can’t get enough of flannel pajamas, footed sleepers, fuzzy slippers, velour floor length bathrobes, turtlenecks, wool skirts, wool socks, thermal underwear, and down jackets. The Snuggie is a perfect addition to my arsenal of warm accoutrements.

So no matter what the naysayers post on their blogs and Facebook statuses, Snuggies are not just a stupid pop culture trend like Pet Rocks, Pokémon cards or Silly Bandz. Snuggies have fuction and purpose; the Snuggie has a raison d'être and that reason is glorious warmth, delightful comfort and general stylishness. Some may the Snuggie is a blanket with sleeves. They would be right. But, it is so much more. Truly, one of the greatest innovations in the 21st Century so far. Those who dismiss and ridicule the Snuggie are just jealous that they didn’t think of sewing a pair of sleeves onto a blanket cut of zebra and tiger print fabric.

So, now that I have inadvertently used almost 400 words to appreciate the virtues of the Snuggie, I finally return to my original question. Is it socially acceptable to wear a Snuggie in public? Sure. How offensive could it be? No more offensive than the muffin-top sporting mamas wearing Skinny jeans at their local Safeway. So, today the too-much-information fashionistas will have some competition from the mom in the pink Snuggie who is happily pushing a shopping cart with her three-year-old boy and his dirty purple Care Bear. Hope to see you there.