Saturday, October 16, 2010

600 Kisses

Today, I will wake up my six-year-old on his birthday with 600 kisses, just like I should everyday. We will celebrate not just the day of his birth but every day of his life. Just six-months ago, my husband and I did not know if our son would see his sixth birthday. His diagnosis was grim: Rasmussen's Syndrome, a rare neurological that induces seizures that eventually leads to paralysis and mental retardation. The only cure is brain surgery.

In June, he survived an eight-hour brain surgery that turned off half of his brain. Today, his body doesn't work quite the same but his mind is still clever and bright. My boy with half a brain is not only thriving, but he is doing better than many of the whole-brained children in his kindergarten class.

Today, we celebrate the birthday of our amazing boy with a trip to the zoo.