Sunday, November 28, 2010

Post Thanksgiving Reflections

Being thankful and giving thanks. There are so many ways to express gratitude on Thanksgiving. A little turkey craft, which is actually an outline of a three-year-old’s hand that holds words of thankfulness on his curved thumb and crooked pinky. A thanksgiving card, a festive Fall bouquet, six candles that when put together spell T-H-A-N-K-S. These small gestures remind us of all our beautiful blessings that inspire gratitude. Most of us give thanks for our families, our health, our home, our careers and the glories of living in a free country.

After Thanksgiving passes, we quickly toss out gratitude in the spirit of greed, frugality, and competitiveness. We knock over Grandma to get a quesadilla maker originally priced at $46.99 for $12.99; we steal a XBOX Kinect out of a distracted shopper’s cart; and, we trick a teenage sales girl into taking an extra 10-percent off our Sing-A-Ma-Jigs due to packaging damage.

As we get lost in the chaos of the Holidays, we forget to give thanks for the little things that may be too trivial or too superficial to articulate on the big day devoted to giving thanks. But as one who never shies away from superficiality and frivolity, here are just a few little things that make me thankful.

  • I am thankful for my four children who are so good looking, intelligent, funny and athletic that they make the average child look vastly inferior.
  • I am thankful that my husband has retained his good looks over years and looks just damn sexy with a tinge gray in his goatee.
  • I am thankful for my DKNY jeans that makes my ass look better at the age of 37 than it did at the age of 19.
  • I am thankful for the clothing manufacturers who cut their patterns larger and assign smaller dress sizes than they did 10 years ago. According to most dressmakers, I am the same size I was in high school despite my Freshman 15 that morphed into the First Child 40.
  • I am thankful that the Candy, Pie, Fudge and Cookie Season has finally arrived and I will fully indulge thanks to the dressmakers who say I am the same size as I was in high school.

These are just a few of the things that make me grateful. As you embark on the Holiday Season, please remember to count your blessings and eat much pie.