Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Unspoken Hero

Day after day, he learns of his son’s headaches and vomiting through his wife’s accounts, which are sometimes peppered with histrionics, hysteria, bitterness and anger. He deftly sorts the facts from the melodrama; advises his wife to remain resilient and resolute; and, frequently reminds her that being hysterical, accusatory and mean will only hinder their efforts in getting their son treatment. Despite his worries and fears, he remains stoic for the family. He sacrifices and suppresses his own desires to be home with his son to continue to provide for his family by traveling all over the world for his job. With the exception of work interactions, his life is solitary and lonely Monday through Friday until he returns to his wife and children.

Then upon returning, he comforts his sick child, cleans up vomit, entertains his other children and reassures his wife. He remains formidable despite his own anxieties and concerns. He serves as the voice of rationality and reason that offsets his wife’s hysteria, irrationality and habitual madness. He is the force that moves his family through an intolerable situation and makes it all more bearable. He is the backbone of his family.

Author’s Note: Over the past few days, my narratives have made me look like a lone warrior in the battle to get my son the treatment he needed. Although I may have been the one struggling with the doctors, I was never fighting the battles alone. My husband was there in every decision and reminded me to not be hysterical or spiteful. Even though my storytelling techniques may leave him out occasionally, my husband is present in all the tales of our family.