Tuesday, July 20, 2010

On Leisure Reading

Books that are New York Times Best Sellers, can be purchased from endcaps at Walmart, and have been converted into cinematic events tend to repel me. Books that are translated into English, win awards and are published posthumously intrigue me. Stieg Larsson’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo fits all the descriptions. While reading this Swedish novel, I spend so much time in anguish about the quality of the work that I forget how much I am enjoying it. Although there is not much literary style going on (which could be partially from the translation), the action is gripping. Very entertaining.

If sex is not just for procreation, then reading is not just for learning. I have entered the world of recreational reading. Stieg Larsson today Stephenie Meyer and Janet Evanovich tomorrow? Not likely.