Saturday, January 15, 2011

Advice from the 24 Inch Pulpit

Sometimes in moments of deep contemplation while questioning my faith and my choices, I ask myself: “Is Oprah Winfrey the Devil?” Probably not, but she does have a cult following who will read anything she says to read and will buy her favorite things because if Oprah loves them everyone else should too.

Although I stopped watching Oprah years ago, I must admit that a piece of advice that I heard on her show has radically impacted how I define and carry myself. Probably in 1999 or 2000, when she allowed real people to actually talk on her show and not just celebrity doctors, psychiatrists and chefs, a young woman told Oprah that she wanted to be an actress. In her typical browbeating way, Oprah said: “You don’t want to be an actress. You want to be a star. If you want to act, go act.”

Although her advice did not inspire me to join a local theater company, at that moment, I stopped obsessing over where I have been published and where I wanted to publish. I am writer because I write. Nothing more and nothing less.

Truthfully, the concept could not be simpler. Do what you love and don’t worry about the economic or potential career impacts. If you want to be a photographer take pictures; want to be a runner then run; if you want to be singer then sing. Fulfillment comes from the action not the paycheck. (Every adult soon learns career happiness is a childhood myth).

However, there are limits to this counsel, if you want to be surgeon, don’t go cutting on your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment