Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Stress of Fine Print

“Mom, I got a flyer today about gifted and talented kids coping with stress,” said my son who is sixth grade.

"Really. Do you want to go?"

“I don’t need to go. I am the least stressed kid that I know. Stress just bounces off of me.”

“That’s good.”

“Yeah, smart kids don’t have to stress. It is easy being smart. I do nothing and get good grades. The dumb kids should be stressed.”

“That’s not nice. Don't talk like that.”

“Well, it is true.”

Four Days Later

“Mom, I need you to call the school.”

“Why?”

“I need you to tell them I want to go to the workshop on stress.”

“Why?”

“I can get out of class if I go. I threw the paper way because I thought it was after school.”

“No, I am not calling. A truly gifted and talented child would have read the fine print.”

“But, Mom, you love calling the school. You always say you are going to call my counselor and teachers. This is your chance to call."

"No."

"Mom, I need to be around kids like me with so much stress."

"No."

"Please, Mom."

“Feeling a little stressed now, kid?”

No comments:

Post a Comment