Friday, January 14, 2011

Commitment Issues

Commitment, faithfulness, and devotion -- overrated and not necessary in a modern day society. Nobody sticks to just one at a time nowadays, and I am no exception. Tried 73 different options in 2010 and only finished 27 times.

Yes, my librarian's interest led me down the path of 73 different books, and I only completed 27. This is an atrocious reading record for a librarian since the average librarian completes more than 100 books a year. I always intend to finish what I start but then boredom, restlessness and interest in something more interesting causes me to abandon my old, worn book for the hot new one.

But in 2011, I will break this habit and finish most of the books that I begin. I will only abandon a book if it is too bloody, too scary, or too pedestrian. Life is too short for banal and mediocre books. But if the fiction is literary and the story is even a little compelling, I will remain faithful. This year, I will complete 60 books and will not desert more than 10 novels. This is the year that I will be something that I have never been -- loyal.

No comments:

Post a Comment