Thursday, January 13, 2011

Comment If You Would Like...

"Where is the comment section?" "Why don’t you let people comment on your blog?" "If you are so concerned with what people think, why not let them tell you?"

These are the questions that are frequently asked of me.

“Spammers,” I reply.

That is a lie. I don't care about spam; I just don't want people mucking up my art. I know this sentiment may seem pompous, bitchy and even crazy. All three adjectives are probably true and are words that suit me well.

So even as a crazy, pompous bitch, I am a huge proponent of the First Amendment. I am all about intellectual freedom, which is why I am a reporter turned librarian. As a librarian, I encourage library patrons to use Web 2.0 features, but I hypocritically prohibit reader interaction on my Internet presence.

After coming to terms with the fact that I am a fearful, control freak with a touch of megalomania, I am finally ready to give up a little control and open up my blog to comments.

Who knows? The comments might even inspire a new post or two, so let the commenting commence.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! This is a HUGE step for you. I'll try not to muck up your art too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to appear "un-artlike" or anything, but I was merely going to comment about how your superb writing often makes me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete