Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Modern Day Penny Candy

Twelve root beer barrels, twenty red Swedish fish, and six pieces of double bubble, three jawbreakers, two bubble gum cigarettes, and a strip of candy buttons: This was my typical order at the local corner store on my way home from school. I did not have a lot of money, but a few nickels and dimes were enough to bring me quick satisfaction at a low cost.

I recently had this same feeling while shopping in Apple’s application store. Everything is priced to sell quickly to capitalize on impulsive shopping and the human urge to want something for nothing or close to nothing. So far, I have only downloaded free applications. Even with free, there is a cost: Time.

In the time it took me to select and download four different list makers, I could have crossed off three to four actual items on a real to-do list written on paper. I could have watched three movies during the time I spent on the Moviefone app., and I probably could have flown to New York, toured the MoMA and flew home during the time I was lost in the museum’s wonderfully textured and detailed free application.

So although sticky notes for the iPhone are not as delectable as Necco wafers, the penny candy of the 21st Century is just as sweet as the original but gentler on the waistline and teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment