Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Business Has Gone to the Dogs

While working one a day at a large downtown library, I handed a man a few books from the Dark Tower series. He was pleased to receive the books because the thrift shop he owns didn’t have them. He, then, proceeded to ask me if I had ever been to Sunny Day Thrift.

There was an uncomfortable silence as I debated on how honest to be.

"Yes, I was in that store once. There was a huge dog running around loose. I was so afraid that he was going to jump on me or bite me that I left the store without buying anything.”

He replied: "That is my dog, Bandit. He is a great dog. You should come back some time. We have lots of good stuff."

Yeah, I am not going back to that store, or the paint-your-own-pottery shop with the two Pugs that hate toddlers, or the bank building with the take your dog to work option.

It's their dogs in their stores, so no leashes are required. But, let me warn all dog owners if you take your dogs off leash to the park where my kids play, I have animal control on my speed dial, and I am not afraid to use it. Called 18 times last summer.

Just obey the leash laws; it is that simple.