Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Tax of Public Service

I don’t want to be the one hundred and eighty third person in line for The Lost Symbol. I pay taxes, so I buy the books, and I think there should be more copies. Order more copies now.

You know that I voted for the bond that built this library, so I think your need to have the state statues at all your libraries because that is what I pay for.

I pay your salary, so I think you should proofread my paper.

I spend good money to support this library, and I don’t come here to see homeless people, who don’t pay taxes, sitting inside, milling around outside, and bathing in the sinks.

Dear Taxpayers,

Thank you for being a productive and responsible part of society by paying your taxes. Thanking for contributing to the purchase of our books, paying my salary, and telling me every day that you pay my salary. But, I just want you to know that librarians pay taxes too. We even have to pay our own library fines, and our patrons are not allowed to bathe in the library's sinks.

But feel free to continue to tell me that you pay my salary, and you’ll continue to see your tax dollars hard at work and smiling.

Thank you for your ongoing patronage,

Your Dutiful Public Librarian