Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Birthday Present

The traditional birthday card contained a small piece of paper, probably 2 x2, with a beautiful sample of a hot pink, black, and white abstract painting; the colors mixed asymmetrically with the right amount of random splatter and an intriguing touch of impasto – really quite lovely.

The twist: the miniature painting was created by me.

This piece of paper came from a long abstract painting session with my best friend from college who created gorgeous fascinating works worthy of display while I produced messy, muddy heavy paint soaked papers that led me to a quite melodramatic “I have no artistic talent and don’t deserve to breathe the same air as anyone who does” meltdown, which occurred almost weekly during my college days.

This gesture was made to quell my artistic inferiority complex and was one of the most thoughtful and uplifting gifts that I have ever received. Although the card was lost in the transition from college student to bill-paying adult, the message stays with me: Beauty can be found even in the muddiest of messes.