Thursday, December 2, 2010

Announcement: Not As Good As A Baby But Close

After two years of blogging, I have decided it is time to become more serious about my writing and push myself a little harder. I will soon be starting a Master of Fine Arts program in Creative Non-Fiction Writing. It is time to listen to the tough things that I need to hear, get more focused and see what I can accomplish with a little discipline and determination.    

I started my blog two years ago, when we abruptly moved from Texas to Colorado, in order to cope with my sense of loss. I desperately missed my library job responsibilities, my patrons and my co-workers. My blog gave me a place to re-direct my energy until I started working for a library district in Colorado. Plus, it was possibly the first time in my life when I didn't have to write for work or school. I could write just for myself and write anything that I wanted. Sometimes that much freedom can be overwhelming. With so many possibilities and opportunities for expression, I gravitated towards low-brow humor in hopes that I would find my voice, dedicate myself to re-writes and write something more serious or literary.

Well, two years later, I am still in the arena of low-brow humor. Although it is encouraging that my readers are amused and entertained my humor writing that is not where I need to be or want to be.  Now is the time to shift directions, focus my efforts on rewriting my best works and devote myself to a project that will allow me to soar. I hope to accomplish these goals through the writing program.

So, what does this mean for my blog? Daily blogging is time consuming, even when I do short humor pieces. So, this means my blogging time will be reduced and I'll be doing more writing behind the scenes.

Please check my blog occasionally because I will be sharing some of my work as well as giving updates about my classes. Thank you all for your support as the Garbageman's Daughter starts a new adventure.