Friday, December 10, 2010

The Eyes Told the Story

His eyes are like almonds that have been roasted for hours; a deep brown so dark that the black of his pupil is barely noticeable. He has dark, long gorgeous eyelashes that he flutters when he needs you to do something for him; making females of all ages melt immediately. His eyes always tell a story.

The story his eyes told three weeks ago was not a happy one. With an onset of a headache his left eye turned in towards his nose. A layperson would call this being cross-eyed but the eye doctor called it Strabismus. I did not accept this diagnosis. His eye turned in only when he had a headache. So, this angry mother with no medical training fought the diagnosis repeatedly.

“The eye is the key,” I said to my six-year-old’s neurosurgeon as I tried to convince him that my son was suffering from hydrocephalus, which is a build-up of cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) pressure in the brain.

Not willing to accept my maternal instinct as medical evidence, the neurosurgeon and I disagreed about the cause of my son’s eye shift, headaches and vomiting for several weeks. Until he finally was admitted to the hospital and an external drain was placed in his head. Within a few hours, his gorgeous eyes were back in alignment.

It turns out that the cerebral spinal fluid pressure was causing the optic nerve to shift; therefore, causing the appearance of a cross-eye.

Now that my son has a little bit of hardware in his head called his shunt, he is free of headaches and vomiting and he continues to use those perfectly aligned brown eyes to con kindergarten room moms into doing his school work for him.